Wranglers

Wranglers

Friday, May 13, 2011

Two of my Favorite Players

Tough Guys Wear PINK...
..and big cowboy hats, and Cop Hats and Baseball Caps, do-rags headbands and sweatbands.  Yes, I'm talking about my Wranglers.
Let me catch ya up to speed on my favorite players.....as of this writing...

Since this game was being played the day before Easter, I found it only fitting to encapsulate my favorite players as Easter Eggs.  I knew they would be wearing pink for the game so I decked them out in Blue.

Center stage is #6 Garrett Courtney.  Big feet, not a big head. The statements plastered on Courtney's rendition are all the words he says about his team, the sport and his love for the game:
 ~DETERMINATION
~NO LIMITS
~PASSION
~I LOVE THIS SPORT
~THERE IS NO "I" IN TEAM
~IT'S ALL FOR THE GAME

  But what I love is the HOMETOWN HERO belt buckle. Whether on the field or the hallways, there is always time for a smile, a hug, a high five and words of encouragement. Sounds like a hero to me.





Question of the day: How many Wranglers do you know that have a lunch time Entrée named after them?  At Ereckson Middle School, we did just that. Say this three times fast:
Wrangler Courtney's Grilled Chicken Caesar Chef Salad.
I'll get more into Courtney as the blog continues cuz...





...here goes my heart.  The passion for the game in THIS player is undeniable. A smile that melts butter, a handshake that will break fingers if you're a guy, but gentle enough for we blushing females.  His name is James Lancaster.

            His number: FOUR
Serious as a plate of mile high bacon (yeah, I said bacon Kristy!) James is taking care of business first -  practice, workouts, games every weekend and more practice. I am keeping my eyes on this talented man's future.  PRO BALL - here he comes.

Notice how his egg is wearing a red bandana? James is kinda cute as an Egg - heck he's just cute period.With that boyish grin, a love for The Lord, the game, students at my school and a strong fellowship with his fellow teammates, how could you not root for this young man's career?  When there are Meet and Greet sessions, he's there without complaint.  Visiting elementary and middle schools - he's the first on the scene.  Never tires of giving autographs and apologizes for being sweaty after each game when fans want to shake a hand or grab a hug.  Thoughtful is the word.



I'm gonna jump the gun with this last photo. As some of you know, James IS MY FAVORITE PLAYER(ya think!) and when I heard the pink jerseys were going up for auction, I dusted off my credit card and was ready to bid towards the heavens for the #4 jersey.  It would be mine if I had to buy it off the person that might outbid me.

In between screaming for the team, keeping my knees away from steel chairs (that's another story - yowch!), snapping action shots, gathering fan info about their favorite players, I would make my way towards the bidding table.  Ya see, #7 BOWERS' jersey was already sold - grrrrrrrr - another I would have paid dearly for.  I knew #6's jersey would be bid by his family - how could I look them in the eyes if I outbid Mr. and Mrs. Courtney?  My focus was on Lancaster.  I opened the starting bid at $50.00.  No sweat.  Thirty minutes later someone else placed a bid.  Take that - I rose to $75 (it was supposed to be in $10 increments - why waste time?).  I also placed bids on three other jersey's - for a fee, I'll tell you which ones they were. LOL.

Crunch time was coming at the two minute mark of the game.  Waiting for time to pass...it was twenty two minutes of AGONY. I heard my name called behind a curtain in section 107/108 - it was Curtis Sandifer of Cowboy Chicken fame.  We go waaaaaaaaaaay back in years as friends.  He was bidding for Hoss's jersey.  How does Hoss get that jersey over his head anyway?  When Curtis told me how much he was willing to spend for Hoss, I gave him his props.  "Hope you get it - too steep for me!" was my reply. When I told him what my max was he replied, "GO GET IT WOMAN!!"  A little encouragement never hurts, right?

I pace back to the bidding table.  My face is becoming well known. The young man behind the table , Chris I believe is egging on other bidders to bet against me.  I hope his insurance is paid up. He's even getting Kyle in on the challenge. A few more bid against me.  I bid back.  Chris reads my face, sees I'm in for the long haul and he begins asking more folks to outbid me.  Good spirited bidding. I can handle tension if there's a bucket of popcorn at my side and the cart is right behind me. Crunch, crunch, munch, munch.  I feel better - cocky even.   With His Cuteness'es jersey up for grabs, how many females were willing to get into a serious bidding war in eight minutes?  Some of my girlfriends found me and were in awe of my extensiveness.

I bid $100.00 with ninety six seconds to spare.  I placed final bids on my three other jerseys and was immediately outbid by their watchful devotees.  I surrendered gracefully, knowing their mania matched mine and put all my focus on rendering anyone bidding against me in the poor house.

Tick-tock-tick-tock, bidding papers swooped up like the last Cheeto in the bag.

What's that?  Game over.
The crowd roars.

Allen Wranglers  56
Wichita Wild 4

THE AUCTION begins in now.
 I'm going home happy or crappy.

Since it would take these bruised knees forever to get to section 101 to enter where the bidding starts, I make my way to Section 108, braced against the side rails. Camera set on sleep mode, adrenaline pulsing through my veins,credit card set for "you go girl", my spouse HusBob knees begin to buckle as he finds a seat to collapse in.  He knows I mean business.

John, the Auctioneer works his magic with various jerseys.  It is now down to the final two jersey's.
 #6 and #4.  My favorite players.  Ironic.

John:  Cathey McHam - your bid is $100.

Cathey.  Correct.

John: Can I get $110.

A guy in section 116 is my opponent.  We counter each other, not giving John time to ask for the next bid. Section 116 bows out when I HOLLER $150.  I have a powerful set of lungs remember.

John:  It stands at $150.  Are there any more bids?

My head is swimming - but I do not count the shirt as mine until I hear that four letter word, SOLD.

John: $150...Going once, going twice..sssssssssssoo

Some guy in Sky Box 222 or 223 raises his hand at $160.

I crack my knuckles, fill my lungs with air and mentally say - LET'S DO THIS.

Cathey: $170

John to Sky Box Man - you're in a sky box man, you can afford this jersey.

I glance at John - oh, you're good - you're goooood!!!

Sky Box Man $180

My nerves!  Where's my popcorn?

And before I could blink an eye - -  at the top of my lungs, leaning over the rails, staring at the dot that is Sky Box Man 222 or 223,
TWO HUNDRED!!!!!  Husbob actually sits down and groans. I think he's going to faint!


Sky Box Man, oh he's pondering.  I'm waiting....waiting....

Sky Box Man: $210

Immediately I yell: TWO TWENTY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sky Box Man knows I am ready to go all out and he waves to John that he is out.

With a yell that Tarzan would be proud of, I jump up and down, mindful of the steel chairs, wink at my HusBob, give a high five to Curtis and proceed to hop, skip, hobble and jump from section 108 to 101 by way of the corridors.  People are watching me do my Happy Dance as I go to retrieve the spoils of my labor. There's no shame in my game.  Jersey Number Four is Mine.  I'm too excited to cry or even talk so I just do my happy dance even onto the field as I accept and give a hug to James, who I believe was quite surprised to find it was The Lunch Lady bidding so ferociously for his jersey.  James had already signed the sleeve of the jersey in silver Sharpie.  {{note: The Wranglers like Silver Sharpies}}

With a look of pride, James hands me his jersey.  I am honored.  Very honored.  I hug him, giggle like a school girl, ask someone to take a few photo (please Lord, let the shots be in focus!!), and hold that jersey like a newborn child.

James, thoughtful James: It's very sweaty.

Cathey:  Not a problem.

And I melt a little with that smile.

Little does James know, I will sleep in that shirt tonight, wear it to the rest of the home games and have it framed at the end of the first season.  It will be cherished....and insured.

So to Chris at the bidding table, John with the awesome auctioneer skills, the guy in Section 116 and Sky Box Man, thank you for making the bidding most memorable.

I know tough guys wear pink, but I look adorable in it.



































I








No comments:

Post a Comment